The North Boston Volunteer Fire Company was founded in September of 1904, after a fire destroyed Schunk's Hotel. Local resident Fred Frank rallied the men of the town to form the first volunteer fire company. On September 30th 1904, forty-seven community leaders of North Boston met to establish a charter and began organizing the North Boston Volunteer Fire Company. The following individuals were elected to serve as officers:
Secretary William G. Bury
Treasurer Charles Endress Sr.
In the summer of 1959, the old tower and fire hall were torn down. An addition was added to the 40’ by 90’ block building that was built in 1950. This housed an additional truck bay and dining room/kitchen.
In Spring of 1967, the company took delivery of a 1967 Chevrolet tanker. This was the third truck in our fleet.
Construction began again in April of 1977. The dining room and kitchen area was increased as well as the fireman’s room. No other additions were ever made to the fire hall.
In 1989, the explorer post began at North Boston Volunteer Fire Company. Young men and women are given the opportunity to partake in the functions of a fire company and with limitations are able to work along side the active firefighters.
The front façade of the fire hall was updated by removing the stone face and replaced with a brick veneer. The original façade was part of the fire hall since 1959.
In 1993, a committee is formed to replace the 1971 American LaFrance as well as the 1965 Ford Pumper/Tanker. The committee is faced with designing a truck that not only meets the needs of our community but one that satisfies the requirements of many regulatory agencies that stipulate what the fire apparatus is now required to have. Now all responding members, in our case eight, must be inside of the truck and seated. The new engine had to be designed to fit in ten foot doors and short enough to be able to go outside of the truck bay and not be into Boston State Road. The company purchased what is now our Engine #2- 1994 RD Murray pumper on a Spartan chassis.
1999- Citing a need for more space both inside of the cab for firefighters as well as compartment space for equipment a committee is established for the purchase of a rescue/utility truck. The committee received approval to purchase a 1999 RD Murray rescue with a Freightliner chassis. The rescue will have air conditioning inside of the cab and roll-up compartment doors. This still serves as our Rescue #7 in our fleet today.
2000-PresentIn 2006, the company purchased our Engine #3 which is a 2006 Toyne/HME Pumper. This unit is our first in pumper and used in mutual aid calls.
Our 7-2 light duty rescue truck was purchased from Cleveland Hill Fire Department in 2012. This unit is used for fire police, road closings and EMS assistance.
Due to safety concerns with the trucks being so close to Boston State Rd and apparatus becoming larger in size and length, a new hall committee was formed in 2005/2006 to start planning on the construction of our new fire hall on Herman Hill Rd. Countless hours of meetings were held to plan and design the new hall. Construction began in 2008 and the hall was dedicated in the summer of 2009. The current fire hall houses all of our fire apparatus, fireman’s room, kitchen and dining area.
For an in depth view of our history, click here to view our 100th anniversary booklet that was created to help celebrate our 100th anniversary in 2004.